At least one of the Andre Hartford spring dampers is beginning to lose its discs; although I have some spare wood discs I discovered that modern fibre discs give a better ride.
After removing the board underneath the rear seat it was an easy job to remove and refurbish the rear dampers.
The rubber on the original silentbloc bushes had been bonded directly to the arms; the new ones have inner and outer steel bushes so there is less thickness of rubber to allow for the rotation. I wonder how long they will last?
I oiled the springs using ATF and a paint brush as I had some spare. And yes, I have used nyloc nuts - no point using the special domed originals with the new bushes.
The spare units that I refurbished were earlier ones and a little different to those on the car, but dimensions are the same and the two are interchangeable.
The rear dampers were dismantled and cleaned (both had been greased - they shouldn't have been!) and new bushes pressed in.
It is surprising how many parts make up these dampers; many are being remanufactured and are of excellent quality.
For some reason the front nearside damper was totally worn out and almost everything had to be replaced except for the arms.
The rims of the central stiffener and the outer brass disc sit proud of the friction material until . . . . . .
. . . . . . mounting on a faceplate and turning down the centre steel washers and the brass discs on the lathe, the friction material can now do its job!
I used 4BA steel nuts & bolts instead of rivets . . . . . though rivets are now available from Vintage Supplies
After an initial adjustment back in 2004 as they settled down, (socket through wheel spokes!) no further maintenance has been needed and 8,000 miles further on they continue to damp the springs well.