Jump Starting the 1007
Certain precautions must be observed when jump starting vehicles fitted with a BSI. Failure to do so can result in spiking ECUs including the BSI and engine management.
Remember, when connecting the leads always fit the earth lead clamp
last when completing the jump circuit and disconnect it first on removal.
- Having connected the jump leads, start the donor vehicle, then start the vehicle with the flat battery.
- Wait a few minutes for its tick-over to stabilise. Do not rev the engine.
- Switch on its headlights, heated rear window and heater fan.
- Remove the jump leads from the vehicles.
- Switch off all loads one by one.
- Allow vehicle to idle and recharge battery.
This procedure prevents the alternator, suddenly loaded by the removal of the jump leads, from creating a high voltage spike before the alternator's regulator can stabilise the voltage.
Never, ever, jump start a Smart Charge vehicle with a flat battery. The system can produce up to 18 volts, which can fry major modules.