The ability to dive safely is an essential and enjoyable skill that
must be carried out in a deep water pool.
Parents and Swimmers are reminded that the Dolphins only offer basic diving tuition up to ensuring a safe head-first entry into deep water. We do NOT cover the Competitive Start Award which must be taken with an ASA Competitive Swimming Club.
ASA PRELIMINARY DIVING SKILLS - TWO STAR
this award must be taken in water of at least full reach height
1. Perform a forward straight jump keeping the body straight throughout the flight and entry. Keep eyes looking forward throughout (in the jumps forward, feet should be completely on the poolside unless it is slippy when toes may be curled over the edge)
2. Perform a back jump keeping the body straight throughout the flight and entry. Keep eyes looking forward throughout (in the jumps backward, heels should overhang the edge)
3. Perform a forward jump tucked. From the tucked position arms out to the side and above head; body straight for the entry. (Body compact, bent at the knees and hips with the knees and hands together, hands on the lower legs and pointed in flight)
4. Perform a forward jump piked. From the piked position, arms out to the side and above head; body straight for entry (body bent at the hips only, legs straight and together and toes pointed in flight)
5. Perform a sitting dive (look for strong push and good hip lift)
6. Perform a tucked roll. From crouching with the toes on the pool edge roll forward into the water keeping tucked up with the head pulled well in. Continue the roll underwater until the body is upright.(Keep the tuck roll tight until fully submerged to avoid back slap on water)
7. Perform a crouch dive (look for strong push and good hip lift)
8. Perform a back circle. From a back push and glide complete a backward somersault straight underwater. (Ensure water is deep enough!)
National Level 8 (for older children only)
1. jump with tuck entry into water of at least full reach height depth
2. tread water for 30 seconds, with head above surface throughout, showing two different methods of kicking and keeping one arm out of the water for ten seconds
National Level 9
1. two different jumps with body straight on entry, gaining height and taking up a different position in flight from straight, tuck, pike, star, turning
3. from a feet-first surface dive, swim underwater to retrieve a diving brick, surface and carry for 10 metres on the back and land on the poolside.
National Level 10
1. plunge dive into water of at least full reach depth holding the streamlined position and covering a distance of at least 5 metres
National Level 12
1. front crawl racing start, including the correct response to commands and the transition to the stroke
2. back crawl racing start, including the transition to the stroke
3. breaststroke racing start, including the transition to the stroke
6. from a racing start demonstrate an individual medley covering one length on each stroke (minimum 20m on each stroke), efficient technique throughout.